Saturday, July 11, 2009

Bread Made From Our Garden

Yep! That's right....zucchini bread made from our home grown zucchini. This is my first time having my very own vegetable garden. I love it! We are growing yellow onions, red bell peppers, 4 different kinds of tomatoes and of course zucchini. My favorite vegetable is zucchini, but I happened to let a few of my zucchinis over grow and didn't know what to do with them (if you let zucchini grow too big the seeds inside harden) 
      How I usually cook zucchini is by cutting it all up,
adding a little bit of olive oil and some seasoning and sauteing. I have this Greek seasoning I like to use, but salt and pepper work quite well too.
I had all this overgrown zucchini and didn't want it to go to waste. My mom had a great idea, "Let's make Grandma Groff's famous zucchini bread she used to make all the time."
My mom still had her old recipe card, with cooking stains that are probably older than I am.


                                                                     Recipe:

                                                        - 2 eggs (beat until foamy) 
                                                        - add 2 cups of sugar
                                                        - 1 cup of oil (mix until thick
                                                            and lemon color)
                                                        - 2 cups of grated zucchini 
                                                        - 2 cups of flour (sift)
                                                        - 1 tablespoon of cinnamon 
                                                        -2 teaspoons of baking soda
                                                        - 1 teaspoon of salt
                                                        - 1/4 teaspoon of baking 
                                                          powder
                                                        - 1 cup of chopped nuts
                                                        - add zucchini to sugar mixture
                                                        - mix well, add dry ingredients 
                                                        - and fold in nuts
                                                        - pour into oiled and flour pans
                                                        - 350 for 1 hour 
                                                        - cool 10 mins and remove
                                                        - makes two cakes (loaves) 


You can mix around and make small loaves or big loaves. I made a bunch of batches which consisted of mini loaves to give to friends as gifts and a big loaf to keep for myself.  This is probably the best zucchini bread I have ever had. It's a good gift idea to make mini loaves, freeze them, and then give them as gifts to friends and family for birthdays or Christmas




                                       Here are two of the mini cakes I made.
                                                                Yum!

1 comment: